Election 2020: Tom Steyer Suspends His Presidential Run

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

This evening, Democratic presidential candidate Tom Steyer, who has become a nationally recognized candidate, suspended his campaign for the democratic nomination, releasing the following statement as results for the South Carolina primary were being reported.

"I want to congratulate Vice President Biden on his victory in South Carolina. I started this campaign powered by a deep conviction that our country can't wait to address the climate crisis, racial inequities and economic injustice. I entered this race because I understand the importance of beating Donald Trump and moving quickly to address the climate crisis.

Beltway Insider: Trump/Pardons, Russia, Weinstein, Coronavirus, Quaden Bayles, Election 2020

"This campaign has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, but I have always said that if I could no longer see a path to victory, I would not stay in the race. That's why tonight I am suspending my campaign for president. 

"I got into this race because I care about progressive change and the power of grassroots organizing and I promise that I won't stop caring about change after tonight. I will continue to fight in the most impactful ways possible to make sure Democrats take back the White House, that our country takes real action on climate change, and that we take meaningful steps towards righting the racial and economic injustices that plague our society. NextGen America will continue to knock on doors, register voters, and mobilize Americans from all walks of life in the fight for a brighter future. 

Five Dead as Shooter Targets Co-Workers at The Molson Coors Brewing Plant

"I want to thank the voters of South Carolina, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Iowa for demonstrating that the Democratic Party has what it takes to beat Donald Trump in November."

Paid for by Tom Steyer 2020. 

Tom Steyer left his successful investing business seven years ago to give his own money and all his time and energy to fighting for progressive causes. He soon became one of the country's leading forces in registering more young voters and voters of color, fighting climate change, working for racial justice, and helping secure better lives for all Americans.

Disgraced Hollywood Mogul Harvey Weinstein Found Guilty

Tom has led a number of people-first, grassroots campaigns that have repeatedly defeated powerful special interests, beating big oil to win clean air laws, forcing big tobacco to pay its share of healthcare costs, and closing a billion-dollar corporate tax loophole to fund public schools.  

Staples Center Packed for Kobe, Gianna Bryant Celebration of Life Tribute

Tom and his wife Kat Taylor were early signers of the Giving Pledge, a commitment to give the bulk of their fortune to good causes before they die. Tom's dedication to doing what is right comes from his parents. His father was a lawyer who prosecuted Nazis at the Nuremberg Trials; his mother was a journalist and teacher who volunteered to teach prisoners in New York City jails. Tom says his parents showed him the power of having the courage to do the right thing. Their greatest lesson, he says, was that our actions speak louder than our words – what we do is more important than what we say.

Haute Tease

• Beltway Insider: Obama visits the Middle East; Assad Assassinated; Senate Tosses Assault Ban; Sequester Impacts

President Obama spent the week touring the Middle East and speaking with heads of states from Israel, Jordan and the Palestine urging leaders on to move forward with a peace initiative.

• Beltway Insider: NATO Summit; Iraqi ISIS/ISIL Syrian; Ebola Numbers; Al-Qaida Operative Dead

President Obama traveled to Wales, United Kingdom, for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Summit where he met with world leaders from the twenty-eight member nations to discuss the challenges and direction of the 65 year-old organization.

• The Second Decade of the New Millennium Bloodiest for Journalists

As we look ahead, many will remember the last ten years in prominent stories that secured the headlines as the past decade saw its share of wars, political firestorms, corruption, mass shootings, murders and tragedies. Few will remember the journalists.

• Celebrity Interview: Director Jay Roach Talks on the Making of TRUMBO, Bryan Cranston, Casting and John Goodman

TRUMBO, the true story from Director Jay Roach and Bleecker Street Films, has continued to garner praise for its lead Bryan Cranston as the cantankerous blacklisted screenwriter, Dalton Trumbo, one of the infamous Hollywood Ten.

• World News: Former Shiloh Mayor David Rubin Answers Questions on The Alabama Abortion Law: What Does Judaism Say

Alabama just passed a bill protecting pre-born babies even in cases of rape and incest, in a trend following Georgia and several other states enacting laws restricting abortion, in stark contrast to the recent on demand New York law.

• DISNEY PIXAR Host FINDING NEMO 3D World Premiere

DISNEY PIXAR recently hosted the World Premiere of FINDING NEMO 3D introducing a new generation to the underwater adventures of an unlikely duo as they navigate the vast oceans in hopes of reuniting father and son.

• Beltway Insider: Hearings Begin on Benghazi; Air Force Official in Sex Scandal; Disgraced Politician Wins; Sandy Hook to Be Razed

High ranking Democrats have rallied around President Obama this week, accusing Republicans of political motivation by using the Benghazi hearings to discredit his leadership and handling of the September 11, 2012 terror attack.

• Last Flag Flying Review – Touching, Emotional War Buddies Film Delivers Poignant Message

Last Flag Flying, from Amazon Studios and Lionsgate, brings together three Vietnam Veterans, each pulled from new lives ,who had long buried the war and all its secrets to embark on a final meaningful mission.

• Mystery Buyer, In Dramatic Fashion, Purchases Beverly Hills Mansion of Late Steamy Queen of Romance Novelist Jackie Collins

Queen of Hollywood romance, steamy sex and scandal novels, author Jackie Collins, took her readers to Hollywood behind the scenes, even if fictionalized. Though born and raised in London, Jackie followed her older sister, actress Joan Collins, to Tinseltown in the 1960s.

• Award Winning Pastry Chef Dominique Ansel Joins MasterClass to Teach French Pastry Fundamentals

MasterClass, the online education company that enables anyone access to the masters of the craft, announced today that James Beard Award-winning pastry chef and Cronut® creator Dominique Ansel will debut his first-ever online pastry class exclusively through its platform.

• Beltway Insider: Obama Criticized Over VA Scandal; Putin to Honor Ukraine Elections; Poroshenko Wins

Russian President Vladimir Putin, facing escalating sanctions over the violations of territorial sovereignty, continued occupation and illegal annexation of neighboring Ukraine, announced he would honor the outcome of the May 25 Presidential elections. 

• FW London: House of Holland and Metail Partner To Create A Fully Immersive Online Fashion Week Experience

British brand House of Holland is once again working with local fashion technology company, Metail, to create an immersive catwalk experience, and inviting fashionista’s everywhere to participate in London's Autumn Winter 15 Fashion Week collection as it is shown live on the catwalk.

• News: Which State Has the Biggest Drug Overdose Problem

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), deaths caused by drug overdose have hit an all-time high in the United States, jumping 7% in just one year and killing over 40,000 Americans in 2014.

• Wine Uncorked: More than Just Sniff, Swirl, Sip

Wine Uncorked, a wine lover’s recreational class, offered at the famous International Culinary Center in the Soho section of Manhattan offers the wine enthusiast the occasion to go beyond sniff, swirl and sip.

• Money News: North American, European Markets Close Down; Asian Split

The DOW Jones Industrial Average, fell prey to the predicted Bear market taking a hit for the second straight week, closing the trading week down with triple digit losses setting a world tone with eight of the ten most watched market in the world closing down.